This season, the Michigan Philharmonic has embraced and highlighted numerous compositions written by women throughout their concert series. This upcoming concert, A Touch of the Irish, will feature the Gaelic Symphony in celebration of 150 years of Amy Beach, one of America’s most influential female composers.
Did you know?
· Amy Beach is the first American woman to succeed as a composer of large-scale works.
· She was 7 years old when she performed her first private recital.
· She made her debut as a concert pianist at the age of 16.
· She founded and was the first president of the Society of American Women Composers.
· She was the first female American composer to compose a symphony performed by an orchestra, Gaelic Symphony.
· She is the first American woman to perform as a soloist on her own work.